Scenes from the Humble House

From top to bottom; Sleeping on the floor, mopping, the view from the kitchen window, thrifted cabinet, vintage squirrel salt and pepper shakers, ancient oven, painting, unpacked crockery, laundry on the line and one of many peanut butter on toast meals…

Our world is a little bit messy at the moment. We’ve spent the last fews days madly unpacking, hunting for “new” (old) furniture, to replace everything we left behind in Sydney, and cleaning. Oh, the cleaning! Somehow when we first came to look at this old house we failed to notice the grease-splattered kitchen wall, the mouldy bathroom ceiling and the 50 years worth of dust. Oh and don’t even get us started on the revolting state of that poor, old oven! We don’t think it’s ever been cleaned. Sadly the cute oven is beyond help and our landlord will be replacing it soon. In the meantime we are just refusing to make any food that requires baking…

It’s going to be a while before this house looks and feels quite like the home we want it to. There’s still a lot to do and we are rather restricted by our nonexistent budget, but at least now we know it’s (mostly) clean.

We hope you are all having a shiny, happy week! What have you been up to while we’ve been busy with moving stuff?

Katie and Reuben x

Tags: , , ,

Katie and Reuben

About Katie and Reuben

We are a twenty-something couple persuing a simple, mindful, beautiful life. We like crafty thing making, yummy thing baking and picture taking.

25 Responses to “Scenes from the Humble House”

1. mother of purl September 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

Looks like you’re getting on really well! You’re little nest bed looks like ours when we got our first proper place together. We were still sleeping on the floor when I was 7 months pregnant and I had to tell my husband that if he didn’t finish our bedroom soon I’d end up stuck on the floor like a beetle on its back! Good luck with the rest of your homemaking xx

2. Jessica Ann September 6, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

Oh my god that oven is AMAZING. Also, have you got a little garden? That looks like the perfect house for you guys.
    Yay!
    Jess
    xx

Katie September 6, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Yes, we have a little garden! What you see out the kitchen window is ours. We plan to plant a vegie patch ASAP! :)

3. Liefgeval September 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Still, I’m sort of in love with that ancient oven! It’s a real looker!
    Everything looks so cozy, it’s really coming together :)! Don’t even
    get me started on the squirrel shakers, woohoo!

Katie September 6, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

It is really cute but unfortunately has not been taken care of so is very, very greasy and dirty. When I first heard that the landlord was replacing it I was really disappointed, but after looking inside it, not so much!

4. Claire September 6, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

That peanut butter on toast looks so delicious, going to go get me some lovely fresh bread and peanut butter tomorrow :)
    The house looks mega cute, love your crockery!

5. Kristina Gulino September 7, 2011 at 3:07 am #

I feel your pain! When we moved into our rental condo here in California, the landlord told us it would be “professionally cleaned”, but that was not the case :( We had teams of family and friends assigned to each room to help scrub the scum out of the bathtub, the dog hair out of the washer (yes, washer) and the GREASE that had floated across all the cabinets! Yikes. Anyways, it will soon be worth it, your place looks so charming and homey. Congrats on your new start and don’t give up!

6. Danielle September 7, 2011 at 3:36 am #

It looks like it’s coming along great! It’s so cute! Hopefully you’ll be able to get through the cleaning soon!

7. diana September 7, 2011 at 4:21 am #

i had the same situation with my stove. it’s a 1950’s o’keefe and merritt and i was disgusted by the lack of ventilation the kitchen had, so it was a greasy mess. i did have it serviced and professionally cleaned. it should arrive in 5 weeks. i say it’s worth it! congrats on your new place again and happy nesting.

8. Misty September 7, 2011 at 4:26 am #

I love these photos.They’re very homely.
    & I love those squirrels :D

Katie September 7, 2011 at 9:40 am #

Aren’t they little cuties?! I picked them up at some local markets :)

9. Shinypigeon September 7, 2011 at 8:21 am #

Keep trogging on… well done with everything you’ve done so far. Peanut Butter on toast is the way to a happy soul….FACT.

10. anastasia September 7, 2011 at 8:24 am #

I love it!! I feel your pain on cleaning neglected houses :C I had to clean a 200 year old prairie home from top to bottom once for a film to make it look lived in! Joy. Your house looks amazingly cozy <3

anastasia

11. KayB September 7, 2011 at 9:57 am #

No baking!? That would kill me! But you places looks divine, particularly that view from the kitchen window.

12. Lyndall September 7, 2011 at 10:52 am #

I love these peeks at your house! It looks like it has lots of character! We rent an old cottage and it has a lot of quirks (like none of our rooms are actually square) but it has lots of charm too :)

13. Michelle Clement September 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Oooh, but these are gorgeous little snippets, even if it feels un-homely, still! And that oven stole my heart! I’m sad it wasn’t taken care of enough that it’s now scary… :( Aaw. Have fun making it cozy!

14. celia September 7, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

These look so lovely! What a pity that the poor little oven has to go…
    Good luck with everything, moving can be really exhausting, I’ve been living in my current flat for one year now and it’s still not how I want it, sigh.

15. Gwen September 8, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

adorable! look at that lavender right outside, yay!

16. Courtney September 8, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

How lovely! Your house/city/life- changing adventure really makes me think of this song by Avalanche City called Drive On- if you haven’t heard it, I highly recommend you check it out! Makes me think of you guys everytime I hear it:)

17. irene wibowo September 9, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

nice house! :)

18. Maria September 9, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

Your new place looks absolutely wonderful! Truly….but I bet you can’t wait until you have bed posts and a working oven. Despite the absolute cuteness of the colour and retro-ness of your current one.

I’ve started work and been planning a honeymoon while all this has been happening on your side of the world.

Maria xx

19. Kelly September 10, 2011 at 12:34 am #

That view is beautiful! Once the cleaning is done, you’ll be able to enjoy it more. I’m so jealous of all the personality your place has…wish there were places like that in the US.

20. Biscuit September 10, 2011 at 5:40 am #

Your oven is incredible and I must say, I’m completely smitten with all of your dishes– they’re all so lovely and unique!

<3 MuffinLovesBiscuit

21. tony September 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

beautiful! and we have the exact same squirrels! they must be cousins

22. jorjiapeach September 27, 2011 at 3:25 am #