A Fresh Start

Big changes are happening in the humble house. Big, wonderful, exciting, terrifying, beautiful, scary, magical changes.

We’ve decided to leave Sydney. It’s official. We have given our day jobs notice and later this week we’ll let our landlord know. We’re starting to think about what things we’ll take with us and what we’ll leave behind. We’re making lists and gathering boxes and ticking the days off our calendars. We’re preparing to say goodbye to the Sydney chapter of our lives.

We’ve spent two years in this big, busy, bustly city. Two years that have somehow both zipped by in an instant and dragged on for an eternity. Two years that have been horrible and wonderful and life changing and uneventful, all at the same time…

Before we came to Sydney we thought that when we were finished with uni (in Queensland) we’d go to Melbourne. We have always really loved Melbourne, so Melbourne was the plan. But when work led us here instead, we went with it. We figured this was the way things were meant to be so we dove right in, we crossed our fingers and we hoped that maybe we’d learn to love Sydney too.

But two years on from the day we arrived, full of hope and expectation, we still feel no more connected or at ease here. We’ve always felt a bit like two odd puzzle pieces that don’t really fit in Sydney, and though we can see it’s beauty and it’s charm, it’s just never clicked with us. It’s never felt like home.

So now it’s time to move on and (hopefully) find a place where we can feel more settled.

Though it hasn’t worked out, we don’t see the Sydney experiment as a failure. We have learnt and grown and changed so much over the past two years. This city has taught us so many lessons that we will always be grateful for. Living in tiny apartments with two cats who long to be allowed outdoors again; spending hours on smelly trains with unfriendly people in grey suits who shove and never say “excuse me”; spending an exorbitant amount of money on rent; never seeing the stars – these are things that we have realised are not part of our dream life. And though we would like to be close to the city so we can pop in for the day when the desire strikes us, our time in Sydney has opened our eyes to how much we crave space, peacefulness and clean air. We never realised how much we wanted room for a veggie garden, quiet roads for bike riding and countryside for exploring, until we moved to the city and those things were no longer available.

It’s important to mention we are also desperate to escape the insane living expenses of Sydney. It would be nice to be less chained to our day jobs so that we might have more time to create, enjoy life, work on our dream projects and just be. (And it would be nice to live somewhere where maybe one day we’ll be able to afford to buy a little house of our own!)

Sydney hasn’t been all bad. There have been new friends made, glorious ferry rides in the sunshine, scrumptious things eaten at the Cupcake Bakery and wonderful dinners with family. There are things that we will certainly miss…

But we’re ready for a fresh start. It’s time to leave this crazy place in pursuit of a life closer to that we dream of. And though we don’t have a real plan and we don’t know quite where this move will take us, somehow this just feels right. The uncertainty of it all is just part of the adventure!

We hope you’ll join us as we embark on this journey and begin a new chapter of our lives. Somewhere out there is a little house just waiting for us to call it our new home. There are new op-shops for thrifting in, new parks for picnicking in and new craft stores for playing in. There are new friends to meet, new places to visit and new adventures to be had. We are so very excited!

Katie and Reuben x

Tags: , ,

Katie and Reuben

About Katie and Reuben

We are a twenty-something couple persuing a simple, mindful, beautiful life. We like crafty thing making, yummy thing baking and picture taking.

32 Responses to “A Fresh Start”

1. Kelly July 6, 2011 at 1:16 am #

I know what you mean about being an odd puzzle piece, I feel that way where I’m at (but the difference is I’ve lived here my whole life…I think I’ve just outgrown this place). Good luck with the planning & moving! I can’t wait to see where this next adventure takes you!

2. Maria July 6, 2011 at 2:03 am #

How exciting! I felt the exact same way when I left London for Greece. I will always love London. There is no other city quite like it in the world. And we were so lucky to have lived in such a place where people flock from all over the world to visit.

I’m very happy with our move though. Like you say, every change is a new adventure. And the best part is that you absolutely have no clue what’s coming your way.

Good luck with it all!!

Maria xx

3. Katie July 6, 2011 at 2:42 am #

Wow, this is such exciting news!! I am so happy for you guys and your new adventure!! I really admire your gumption because though starting a whole new chapter might seem scary, there are a world of new fun things just around the corner from you, and so I’m happy you’re taking the leap! What you described in Melbourne sounds perfect and amazing! I can’t wait to hear more of your tales and I wish you the best of luck!

4. Chestnut Mocha July 6, 2011 at 3:36 am #

Hi guys!
    That’s very exciting! Are you going to Melbourne? I can totally understand you – living in a huge city is horrible and wonderful at the same time but after all it’s very tiring and exhausting. Wishing you best luck and we are looking forward to hearing about your new Way!
    Katie&Ben

Katie July 6, 2011 at 9:38 am #

We’re looking for somewhere close to Melbourne, but not actually in Melbourne – somewhere in the country nearby! Thank you for the sweet wishes! x

• Chestnut Mocha July 7, 2011 at 12:50 am #

This sounds like a good plan! Near a big city but not too noisy.. Keep us updated! ;-)

5. Sara July 6, 2011 at 5:13 am #

Such an exciting time! I’m looking forward to following along on your journey! :)

6. Laura July 6, 2011 at 5:47 am #

very exited for the 2 of you! it’s what adventures are made of. When we moved to NZ I had never been and just arrived with a bag each. It was really cool!

7. Barbara - The Tattooed Housewife July 6, 2011 at 5:58 am #

Good luck! My husband and I are doing the same thing at the end of this year. We cannot wait. We don’t fit in in our town at all either! I’m excited for you!

8. Sabrina July 6, 2011 at 6:08 am #

I can relate to what you’re saying about being the odd piece in the puzzle… I felt the same when I was living in London. Beautiful, exciting city, but just not quite right for me.
    I hope you find the place where you feel like home and can settle down. Lot’s of luck and keep us updated on where you’re going and how it feels like!

9. deer donna July 6, 2011 at 8:04 am #

does this mean you are coming to Melbourne!?!!? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Katie July 6, 2011 at 9:31 am #

We won’t be in Melbourne but we’ll be somewhere close by… We’re not sure where yet! We’re going to spend a couple of weeks staying with my mum while we explore.

Maybe now we’ll be able to go on that picnic together? :)

10. A Thrifty Mrs July 6, 2011 at 8:07 am #

I’ve only just found your blog, and my, it is so sweet(!) but I look forward to reading about your move and your next step in life. Good luck!

11. knitxcore July 6, 2011 at 8:07 am #

how exciting! i hope everything goes smoothly!

12. Claire July 6, 2011 at 8:54 am #

So exciting guys! You will love Melbourne. The country side is amazing and you’ll build a pretty little life here :)

13. Michelle July 6, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Good luck with your move! So exciting!

14. hannah July 6, 2011 at 11:52 am #

just sending good luck wishes! we too are looking to move soon… getting antsy pantsy for a change and new adventure! living in hawaii is definitely unreal in an awesome way, but it’s not a place where we’ll ever be able to own out own home either… hope you guys find the perfect place! i just know you will :D

15. Zoe July 6, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

Hurray! I’m so excited for you guys, and I can totally see us going on op shopping trips in the future!

16. Emily July 6, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Hooray! So exciting for you guys, best of luck!

17. Sharni July 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Lilydale is quite nice and on the very outer edge of “city” with trains to city for less than an hour, or anywhere around there really. I like Healesville too but maybe a bit too far.. but nice op shops and cafes. How exciting! Cant wait to hear of your adventures down here xo

18. Katie
    Katie July 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

Thank you so much for all your lovely messages everyone! It really does mean a lot. We love you guys! x

19. Erin July 6, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

I wish some how we had met in real life… I moved to Sydney two years ago, to be with the boy from Melbourne. Like you i feel like the odd one out, the way you describe Sydney is how i feel. I dream the days when i can finally move from this unfriendly city, to somewhere yes my cat can run out side with a veggie patch and a chicken or two… But until then it is only a dream… good luck with your moving and hope that where you move to bring you peace and happiness!

Katie July 7, 2011 at 11:40 am #

Yes, I think Sydney is just the type of place that you either love or hate… Keep dreaming of that vegie patch and those chickens! It will happen when the time is right. Wishing you peace and happiness too! x

20. Kelly July 6, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

Naw, can’t help but feel a bit bummed you’re leaving and we haven’t even decided if we should be best friends or not. hahaha. thats SO exciting though, WOW. country victoria is amazing for op shopping so thats looking like a pretty good option. When do you actually leave? I hope you’ll get a bunny in the new place. Xx

Katie July 6, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

What do you mean we haven’t decided if we should be best friends yet?! Of course we should! We’ll just have to be pen pals now :) But we should meet up for coffee in real life too! We leave the first week of August. Oh and I would LOVE to get a bunny! x

21. Kelly July 7, 2011 at 12:11 am #

haha ok penpals sounds good and if we ever end up near you in country victoria at any point roadtrippin’ we can op shop too. and yes, agreed, we should do coffee before you go! And Reubs should get started on that deer jumper for you if your moving towards the colder parts of town…. :) x

22. Jenny July 7, 2011 at 12:42 am #

Wowee, big move! I wish you the best of luck in your move, I hope you find where you belong. Keep us faithful bloggers updated on your move!

23. Amylou July 7, 2011 at 1:02 am #

Good luck on your new adventures! Nothing sounds better than a little house in the country!

24. kerry July 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

I have one word for you both,

Lancefield ;)

25. becky July 8, 2011 at 1:24 am #

Good luck on your big fantastic changes!! my guy has relatives in Melbourne and I’m dying to go just from their facebook pics alone… the surrounding countryside is gorgeous!!

Congratulations you two!!

26. Michelle July 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

Oh I missed this! How exciting for you both! I lived in Sydney for a very happy 18 years but when it was time to go, it was time to go. I was so happy to get out I felt like I was walking on air. Everyone thought I was in love – I was glowing!

Good luck on your adventure, your little house is waiting for you. I just wish it was next door to me!

xx